What is AVID?
AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination,is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to closing the achievement gap by preparing all students for college and career readiness system. AVID is designed to increase the number of students who enroll and succeed in higher education and in their lives beyond high school. The AVID College Readiness System is the only elementary through higher education instructional system (K–16), which allows for regional alignment that strengthens student potential for completion. AVID-trained educators teach students academic and social skills to help them develop the habits and behaviors needed to succeed in rigorous curriculum. The AVID College Readiness System is a catalyst for developing a school culture that closes the achievement, expectation, and opportunity gaps many students face, and it prepares all students for success in a global society.
What AVID Does
Simply, AVID trains educators to use proven practices in order to prepare students for success in high school, college, and a career, especially students traditionally underrepresented in higher education.
How AVID Works
AVID brings research‐based strategies and curriculum to educational institutions in elementary, secondary, and higher education. The AVID System annually provides 60,000+ educators with training and methodologies that develop students’ critical thinking, literacy, and math skills across all content areas throughout the entire campus, in what we call Schoolwide AVID.
- Teaches skills and behaviors for academic success
- Provides intensive support with tutorials and strong student/teacher relationships
- Creates a positive peer group for students
- Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
How to apply to AVID :
We accept applications at the end of the second semester for incoming 9th graders, at the end of 1st semester for current 9th and current 10th graders. Here is a link to the application: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PM4qlhZu-HTLoclST3yI_LV6EBXDcbooG4IUIW9TRAA/edit?usp=sharing
Learn more about the AVID SYSTEM.
Glencoe AVID Site team:
- Coordinator- Rebecca Clark
- Principal- Claudia Ruf
- AVID Vice Principal- Joe Painter
- College and Career Counselor- Jennie Hall
- 9th and 11th- Ali Velasco and Matt Steele
- 10th and 12th- Michelle Buyas and Jason Dortch
- Tom Stephens- Class of 2019, Math Teacher
- Jenn Burger- Class of 2019, SpEd Teacher
- Sami Hayden- Class of 2020, Social Studied Teacher
- Layton Fishback- Classes of 2021, ELA Teacher
- Elizabeth Teach- Class of 2022, Science Teacher
- Grace Liao- Class of 2022, Science teacher
- Bob Bizjak- ELA Teacher
- Beth Morgan- ELA Teacher
- Chris Flores- Math Teacher
- Jory Shene- Math Teacher
- Naomi Sunigawa- ESL Teacher
- Ric Linnell- Spanish Teacher
- Todd Patterson- CTE/Construction Teacher