An Option for current HSD students grade 9-12
Hillsboro Big Picture is a small, Options program for high school students in the Hillsboro School District
What makes us unique:
- Advisory - students create strong relationships with one teacher and a group of students for the year.
- Exhibitions - at the end of each semester, students showcase their learning to staff, students and family.
- Internships - students earn elective credit, learn job skills and explore careers by participating in an unpaid intership each year. Students typically spend 65 hours per semester in internships in the community.
- Projects - students are given time to explore a topic of their interest that is tied to curriculum standards.
- We are located in the old David Hill building near downtown Hillsboro.
- We are part of the Miller Education Center family of alternative options in HSD.
- Students attend school full-time and earn a high school diploma.
- We offer transportation and school meals.
- Students can still participate in sports and activities of their home high school.
- Students at Hillsboro Big Picture spend their school day in core content classes, elective classes (although a smaller selection than the larger high schools), a project-based class and an internship class.
Big Picture learning is student-centered, where students actively own and invest in their education. Students will be part of a small learning community supported and led by an advisor. They will work closely with real-world mentors as well as their parents and families to develop their passions.
MEC West Campus
Hillsboro Big Picture, GED,
5th year Diploma, TOPs, PEARL
440 SE Oak Street
MEC East Campus
215 SE 6th Avenue
Hillsboro , OR 97123