Goals of DLP
Students in dual language programs are presented with the social and cognitive benefits of bilingualism. They gain a second language, a broader vocabulary, and multiple views of the world. In order to acquire these benefits, the program sets out to accomplish the following goals:
- Develop high levels of proficiency in Spanish and English.
- Help students achieve grade level academic performance in Spanish and English.
- Raise self-esteem for all children.
- Take advantage of the optimal window of learning a second language during the primary years.
- Give students an edge in high school, college, and the workplace.
- Develop bilingualism, biliteracy, and biculturalism.
- Develop positive cross-cultural attitudes and behavior.