What you need to know:
- CDC recommends everyone ages 6 months and older get vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Everyone 5 years and older should also get a COVID-19 booster, if eligible.
- Use CDC's COVID-19 booster tool to learn if and when your child or teen can get boosters to stay up-to-date with their COVID-19 vaccines.
COVID-19 Vaccine Overview
Vaccinating people against COVID-19 is a key step to slowing community spread of the virus and reaching herd immunity.
There are many benefits of getting vaccinated against COVID-19.
- COVID-19 vaccines available in the United States are effective at protecting people from getting seriously ill, being hospitalized, and even dying—especially people who are boosted.
- As with vaccines for other diseases, people are protected best when they stay up to date with the recommended number of doses and boosters.
- COVID-19 vaccines can offer added protection to people who had COVID-19, including protection against being hospitalized from a new infection.
- COVID-19 vaccines are safe—much safer than getting COVID-19. COVID-19 vaccination helps protect you by creating an antibody response without you having to experience sickness, potentially including severe illness, or post-COVID conditions.
Oregon law OAR 333-019-1030 mandates that all school staff be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exception. The law further states that schools granting medical or religious exceptions must take reasonable steps to ensure that unvaccinated staff are protected from contracting and spreading COVID-19. Vaccination is also required for anyone "who is employed by a school-based program or who is not employed but is otherwise engaged to provide goods or services to a school-based program through any formal or informal agreement, whether compensated or uncompensated, and includes but is not limited to teachers, administrative staff, child care staff, cleaning staff, coaches, school-based program drivers, family volunteers," etc.
Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center Resources
Call to set up an appointment for
COVID-19 testing and/or vaccination
YouTube OSHU playlists