What is AVID?
AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to closing the achievement gap by preparing all students for college and career readiness system. AVID is designed to increase the number of students who enroll and succeed in higher education and in their lives beyond high school. The AVID College Readiness System is the only elementary through higher education instructional system (K–16), which allows for regional alignment that strengthens student potential for completion. AVID-trained educators teach students academic and social skills to help them develop the habits and behaviors needed to succeed in rigorous curriculum. The AVID College Readiness System is a catalyst for developing a school culture that closes the achievement, expectation, and opportunity gaps many students face, and it prepares all students for success in a global society.
What AVID Does
Simply, AVID trains educators to use proven practices in order to prepare students for success in high school, college, and a career, especially students traditionally underrepresented in higher education.
How AVID Works
AVID brings research‐based strategies and curriculum to educational institutions in elementary, secondary, and higher education. The AVID System annually provides 60,000+ educators with training and methodologies that develop students’ critical thinking, literacy, and math skills across all content areas throughout the entire campus, in what we call Schoolwide AVID.
- Teaches skills and behaviors for academic success
- Provides intensive support with tutorials and strong student/teacher relationships
- Creates a positive peer group for students
- Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
How to apply to AVID :
If interesested in applying to be part of the AVID program, we sometimes have positions open up at the semester and start of the year. Please reach out to our AVID coordinator, Layton Fishback, for more information.
Learn more about the AVID SYSTEM.
Glencoe AVID Site team:
- Coordinator- Layton Fishback
- Principal- Claudia Ruf
- AVID Vice Principal- Joe Painter
- College and Career Counselor- Whitney Sahlfeld
- Counselor (9-12 AVID)- Rebecca Wagner
- Layton Fishback-Avid Coordinator, Class of 2024/2025/2026
- Beth Morgan- Class of 2024, ELA Teacher
- Emily McGinley- Class of 2025, ELA Teacher
- Jory Shene- Class of 2023, Math Teacher
- Andy Ackerman- Class of 2023, Academic Options Teacher
- Naomi Sunagawa- ESL Teacher
- Todd Patterson- CTE/Construction Teacher
- Tom Stephens- Leadership Teacher