May 27, 2021 - Lead Water Testing at Imlay Elementary School
May 27, 2021
Dear Imlay Staff and Families,
Recently, as part of routine environmental testing, all of the faucets, fountains, and other water sources at our school were tested for the presence of lead.
We just received the results and learned that ten water sources tested above the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) recommended action level of 15 parts per billion (ppb):
- Room 102 drinking fountain - 34.2 ppb
- Room 104 drinking fountain - 23.3 ppb
- Room 107 drinking fountain - 212 ppb
- Room 108 drinking fountain - 25.5 ppb
- Room 110 drinking fountain - 16.5 ppb
- Room 111 drinking fountain - 17.2 ppb
- Kitchen, wand faucet at floor mixer - 20.1 ppb
- Kitchen, pot filler faucet - 50.0 ppb
- Room 203 drinking fountain - 18.8 ppb
- Room 206 drinking fountain - 19.8 ppb
Our drinking fountains were already shut off because of COVID, and the other water sources were turned off immediately upon receiving the over-limit results. The fixtures will remain unavailable until they can be replaced. Once new fixtures are installed, they will be re-tested for the presence of lead and will only be placed back in service once the lead levels are below 15 ppb.
Please refer to this document for additional information about lead content in water.
We take everyone’s safety and health very seriously and appreciate the opportunity to work swiftly in collaboration with Facilities and PBS Environmental Engineering consultants to address this issue.